New for Summer 2013 - eClass Live is now powered by Adobe Connect!
After a thorough evaluation including public demonstrations and consultation, the University of Alberta has adopted Adobe Connect as the new centrally-supported synchronous learning tool to replace the current tool, Elluminate.
During summer 2013, Adobe Connect and Elluminate will be running in paralell but we strongly recommend users begin using Connect. Elluminate will be read only from August 19th onwards.
Check the links below to get started using eClass Live powered by Adobe Connect.
- Computer Setup for Adobe Connect
- Using eClass Live powered by Adobe Connect
- CTL's Adobe Connect Training Sessions
- Downloadable Tipsheet for Using Adobe Connect (save and print PDF)
Online training resources for Adobe Connect will be added shortly.
eClass Live is a web collaboration system and real-time virtual environment. The system has many useful features that offer exciting possibilities for student interactions and remote guest speakers. Find out how eClass Live can expand your classroom.
Call: (780) 492-9372
What is eClassLive?
eClass Live is implemented through eClass to add live discussion and dynamic interaction to your exsiting Bear Tracks courses or through non-credit courses to create stand-alone sessions. Powered by the Adobe Connect platform, this technology can be used for creating an 'in-the-moment' virtual classroom direct to student desktops. This web collaboration software package enables instructors to have real-time discussions with students supported with PowerPoint slides, web sites, whiteboard mark-up capability, and shared applications. Features of the software include:
- a whiteboard with markup tools for visuals and presentations
- text messaging capability
- voice-over-internet capability for audio discussion
- breakout rooms for small group discussion
- incorporation of shared applications
- sessions can be recorded and played back later
- multiple video webcams with the option of choosing which to view
- polling, surveys and basic assessments
- customizeable layouts that can be switched on-the-fly
- the ability to build out content in advance and store it in meetings all term
- the ability to convert recordings to stand-alone Flash files (and then convert into standard multimedia objects)
Why use eClassLive?
eClass Live sessions are easily created and offer many possibilities:
- guest presenters/researchers delivering live presentations to on-campus students
- student group project meetings/discussions with application sharing tool
- small group tutorial/lab sessions to review difficult concepts (TAs, grad students)
- one-on-one instructor or peer-based tutoring
- exam review
- virtual office hours
- research collaboration globally
The basic requirements for eClassLive are to have Flash installed and have a microphone and speakers available. To begin using the system, first you will need to get eClassLive setup. After you've verified your system setup, then take a look at Using eClassLive, which contains a guide to the basic operations and links to more detailed training information.
Help with eClassLive
If you are having problems with your system setup, your general computer enquiries should go to the AICT Help Desk. Visit them at 302 General Services Building, email email@example.com or call (780) 492-9400.
If you are having problems accessing or moderating sessions within eClassLive, check the FAQs and/or contact CTL at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (780) 492-9372. CTL Technology services also provides customized training on setting up sessions, using the system, and getting participants access to your sessions. Contact us for more information.
CTL Adobe Connect Training Sessions
CTL offers Adobe Connect Level 1 & 2 New User and Fast Track training sessions. Register online through the CTL events calendar. Unable to attend our hands on training sessions? Watch CTL's pre-recorded online training sessions here.
Adobe Connect Level 1
In this session, we will explore the fundamental tools and strategies required to deliver a basic lecture using Adobe Connect. This includes how to set up an Adobe Connect meeting, how to prepare your meeting room, how to deliver a basic lecture, how to share content with students, and how to conduct a large group discussion. Level 1 is recommended for all instructors who will be using Adobe Connect.
Adobe Connect Level 2
In this online session, we will explore some of the more advanced features of Adobe Connect, that some blended and online instructors will want to make use of in their online session. This includes advanced student interaction tools, small group discussion using breakout rooms, sharing multimedia and customizing meeting layouts. Level 2 is recommended for moderators, as well as instructors who will be teaching a blended or fully online course, especially those who plan on doing small group work with students.